If you’ve read our “What is website caching and why should you use it?” blog post you will remember that we mentioned using a Content Delivery Network (CDN) to improve the performance of your website even more after you finished configuring caching.
What is a CDN?
CDNs have continued to grow in popularity over recent years, as the loading speed of a website is one of the most influential factors for a visitor to remain on your site. Think about it, if you visit a website and the content loads slowly with images appearing a chunk at a time you’re soon going to get frustrated and visit another site where you don’t have to wait to see what you’re looking for. The use of a CDN can ensure your content is ready whenever your visitors want to view it, without any delay.
So, is a CDN the same as a web host?
In short no, they are two separate things. A CDN does not host content in the same way a web host does and therefore a CDN cannot replace the need for web hosting. However, a CDN does help by caching content at the edge of the network (internet) which dramatically improves website performance & loading times.
How does a CDN work?
As mentioned earlier, a CDN is a distributed set of servers across the globe working together to serve content quickly to your users from a location geographically close to them, thus reducing latency (the delay in content being sent from its source to its destination). To ensure content is served reliably and in the fastest way possible CDN providers place their servers at various exchange points that exist between Internet Service Providers (ISPs), these Internet Exchange Points (IXPs) are the primary locations where the ISPs interconnect with each other. By hosting their CDN servers in these geographically strategic spaces the CDN provider can ensure a consistently high speed of data/content delivery.
Other than decreasing load times, are there any other benefits of using a CDN?
Yes, as well as increasing the speed of your website using a CDN can also:
- Reduce bandwidth costs – Through the use of a CDN the data needed to be transferred from your web hosting server is reduced as the content is served from the CDN
- Increase content availability and redundancy – Owing to the distributed nature of a CDN, it can withstand higher peaks of traffic than a typical web host can, allowing it to stay online and available during heavy visit periods. A CDN is also much more diverse in its infrastructure than most web hosting providers so a failure of one (or even multiple) parts of the CDNs network often do not cause any disruption to your visitors.
- Force secure content delivery (SSL) – Enforcing content to be served over SSL is an option on most mainstream CDNs so you can be sure your content is being served securely
What CDN should I use?
As with most technologies, there are a large number of CDN providers out there. The below 2 are what we consider to be the very best of the bunch for both pricing and feature set:
Does Hugoton Hosting use a CDN?
Absolutely! To ensure the super fast delivery of our website we have used StackPath as our CDN since July 2018. We also have a number of our customers using CDNs in conjunction with our website hosting packages to deliver their websites from e-commerce to discussion forums.
After caching the content of your website, a CDN is the next step to ensuring super fast content delivery of your website to your visitors. Make sure you choose a fast & reliable web hosting provider to start with, then deliver your content over a CDN to see (well, imagine seeing at least) your visitors smile as your website pops up in milliseconds before them!
Web caching is an amazing technology that every website should be using in one form or another, at least that’s what we think here at Hugoton Hosting! Web caching speeds up site loading times to end users which not only increased user satisfaction, as let’s face it – who likes to wait for a page to load?, but can also lead to increased SEO scores.
Faster loading times can also lead to better conversions for your e-commerce website, which then increases your income from online sales! In this blog post, we will cover exactly what web caching is and of course how you can implement caching on your WordPress site within minutes.
What Is Caching?
Caching is a complex technology with many vendors competing in its space, in its simplest form it reduces the content size of your website allowing it to load quicker within your visitors’ browser.
Your website is requested hundreds of times a day (hopefully even thousands!), every time a request happens the web server you host on has to generate all of the page content from scratch (remember this includes headers, footers, and menus as well as the main page content). However, in 99% of these page requests the content that is generated is exactly the same. Wouldn’t it be great to relieve your web server from having to perform this ‘ground up’ generation of page content on every request …. hello caching.
How Does It Work?
Caching takes a ‘snapshot’ of the page and delivers this snapshot (usually from RAM memory on the web host versus disk) instead of the generated page content mentioned above for requests of the same nature. As you can imagine, this is far quicker and therefore your visitor sees your page content load in a fraction of the time it takes without caching being implemented.
What Do I Do When I Add Or Change Content?
Don’t worry, caching plugins today take notice when you add, remove or change content on your website and automatically create a new cache version of the page to ensure the next visitors see your latest edits.
Is It Really Worth It?
Absolutely, yes. A website will typically load 150-200% faster after caching is installed! There are 2 distinct types of caching to achieve this result, browser caching and server-side caching, we’ll cover those later in this blog post. A great website to use to check the effectiveness of installing caching is Pingdom Speed Test – we’re rated an “A” there (https://tools.pingdom.com/#!/c9tvGM/http://www.hugotonhosting.co.uk) as we use caching and other forms of page loading optimisation such as CDN (lookout for more blog posts on those soon).
Browser caching ‘tells’ the browser which files to store locally so that next time the visitor loads a page on your website their browser uses its local copy of the aforementioned dependency files. Saving bandwidth and time!
Hugoton Hosting uses browser caching, so when you first landed here your browser will have downloaded a number of dependencies, when you refresh this page or take a look around our site however, your browser will use its local copy.
Server Side Caching
We spoke about server-side caching earlier, and how content is served from a ‘snapshot’ held in RAM. There are a couple of types of server-side caching, full page and object. The full-page caching option is the way to go here, object caching only caches certain components of your site such as the headers or footers. For optimal performance always opt for full page caching.
Okay, So How Do I Start Caching?
In this blog post, we focus on how to cache your website content via WordPress. Depending on your web hosting provider it may be possible to cache none WordPress websites also, if you choose Hugoton Hosting as your web host we can help you out with this for sure!
WordPress Cache Plugins
In our opinion the below 3 plugins are the best out there for caching your WordPress content, while there are hundreds more we believe the below providers have delivered caching capabilities in the best & most efficient way via their plugins:
- Swift Performance – $29.99 per year – https://swteplugins.com/product/swift-performance/
- WP Rocket – $39 per year – https://wp-rocket.me
- W3 Total Cache – free – https://wordpress.org/plugins/w3-total-cache/
I’ve Installed Caching What’s Next?
If you’ve installed one of the caching plugins from above then you will have no doubt noticed a performance boost when loading your website, nice work! If you want to see what else you can do to increase the loading time of your website even more then you should consider serving your content via a Content Delivery Network (CDN) and using content compression to reduce the size of those ‘dependency’ resources we mentioned earlier. We will have blog posts about both of these technologies very soon, so be sure to check back for those!
Caching speeds up your website loading times, with no detrimental effects. This can, in turn, increase user satisfaction and boost sales … it’s a no-brainer!
All of our web hosting packages at Hugoton Hosting support caching, unlike some mainstream providers (like GoDaddy) who actually block WordPress caching plugins from being installed.
If you aren’t already heading off to start caching your website get to it 😊
Visiting a website to see “Not Secure” in the address bar is the worst thing you could hope for as a website owner. Since late 2017 Google Chrome, and all other mainstream browsers such as Firefox, Internet Explorer/Edge, Safari and Opera have been warning visitors that the website they are visiting does not have a valid SSL certificate installed.
Websites are served over a protocol called HTTP, which stands for “hypertext transfer protocol” – this is a standard way your computer communicates with the website you’re viewing. A secure site uses a security certificate called SSL, which changes the URL to HTTPS. This added security protects your computer’s communications so that it’s much harder for other people to “listen in” and figure out what you’re doing or get the information you’re sending online.
Having a “Not Secure” message appear when users visit your website can quickly raise users’ concerns about the non-secure nature of your site or forms. Anyone concerned about protecting their privacy and information online would likely be leery to input information on your website, including, of course, making a purchase. Additionally, a “not secure” warning could lead users to believe your site is hacked or, rightfully, view your site as vulnerable. Either way, the user experience will be affected. Another way your site could be impacted is in its rankings – Google wants site owners to maintain a secure certificate and views HTTPS as a ranking factor.
With Hugoton Hosting you can host your website within minutes and be sure that no “Not Secure” message will be displayed thanks to our free SSL offering that comes with every single web hosting package that we offer.
Just sign up, then activate your completely free SSL within your Control Panel once logged in. With only two clicks your entire website will be secure, and every visitor will see a “Secure” message in their address bar so they can be confident their personal information is protected while on your website.
Take a look at our Web Hosting packages today and host your secured site with us!
Video marketing can be a challenge for web hosting providers, but we think we’ve cracked it with our brand new video.
Over the past week, we’ve been working with a fantastic creative artist to produce the video above which showcases all of our offerings from website hosting to web design services to VPS hosting.
We’d love to hear your thoughts! … Don’t forget you can get 20% off all our website hosting packages by using coupon code HUGOTONVIDEO for a limited time!
Today has been a very busy & exciting day for us with the launch of our new domain marketplace website HugotonDomains.com and now the launch of Softaculous apps installer on all our web hosting and reseller hosting packages!
New and existing customers can now, with just one click, install any web software from the list of 290+ apps available in the Softaculous installer located within their Hugoton Hosting cPanel, just by clicking on the “Softaculous Apps Installer” option once logged in:
The best part? It’s completely free. Yes, you read that correct, we have decided to include all 290+ apps within the Softaculous installer for all of our customers & resellers at absolutely no cost!
Once inside the Softaculous installer customers can choose any of the apps to install onto their domains, some of the most popular apps available to choose are:
- WordPress – Web software you can use to create a beautiful website or blog. We like to say that WordPress is both free and priceless at the same time.
- Joomla – An award-winning content management system (CMS), which enables you to build Web sites and powerful online applications. Many aspects, including its ease-of-use and extensibility, have made Joomla the most popular Web site software available.
- Drupal – An open-source platform and content management system for building dynamic web sites offering a broad range of features and services including user administration, publishing workflow, discussion capabilities, news aggregation, metadata functionalities using controlled vocabularies and XML publishing for content sharing purposes.
- phpBB – Used by millions of people on a daily basis, making it the most widely used opensource bulletin board system in the world. Whether you want to stay in touch with a small group of friends or are looking to set up a large multi-category board for a corporate website, phpBB has the features you need built in.
- WHMCS – An all-in-one client management, billing and support solution for online businesses. WHMCS handles everything from signup to termination, with automated billing, provisioning and management. With WHMCS, you’re in control with a very powerful business automation tool.
- OpenCart – An open source PHP-based online shopping cart system. A robust e-commerce solution for Internet merchants with the ability to create their own online business and participate in e-commerce at a minimal cost.
- osCommerce – An online shop e-commerce solution that offers a wide range of out-of-the-box features that allows online stores to be setup fairly quickly with ease, and is available for free as an Open Source based solution.
- SugarCRM – The world’s leading provider of commercial open source customer relationship management (CRM) software. Founded as an open source project in 2004, SugarCRM applications have been downloaded over five million times and currently serve over 500,000 users in 75 languages.
- MyBB – A lot of thought has gone into the MyBB interface to make it easy to use. MyBB uses a standard discussion board structure, so your visitors will feel familiar with the way MyBB works. Your visitors can use the MyBB user control panel to change the way they view discussions. They can also easily start and reply to discussions and markup their posts.
- Zenphoto – A CMS for selfhosted, gallery focused websites. Our focus lies on being easy to use and having all the features there when you need them. Zenphoto features support for various media formats and integrated blog and custom pages. Zenphoto is the ideal CMS for personal websites of illustrators, artists, designers, photographers, film makers and musicians.
- Dolphin – The world’s most advanced community software. Open-source, independent, downloadable, scalable, customizable, full-featured, free software for building social networks, dating sites and web-communities.
- Roundcube – A browser-based multilingual IMAP client with an application-like user interface. It provides full functionality you expect from an e-mail client, including MIME support, address book, folder manipulation, message searching and spell checking.
- osTicket – A widely-used open source support ticket system. It seamlessly integrates inquiries created via email and web-based forms into a simple easy to use multi-user web interface. Easily manage, organize and archive all your support requests and responses in one place while providing your clients with accountability and responsiveness they deserve.
So, if you’re an existing customer login to your cPanel today and start browsing through all of the apps now available for one click install.
We are really excited to announce the launch of our brand new premium domain name marketplace HugotonDomains.com!
Over time we accumulate domain names and will now list them for sale on our new Hugoton Domains website, Hugoton Domains offers all of our available domain names at competitive prices for purchase or rent!
Take a look now and secure your premium domain name at a one time fixed price or pay monthly to rent the domain from us.
Whether you’re looking for a .com or .co.uk or something more bespoke like a .blog, .eu or maybe even a .me Hugoton Hosting has you covered.
We’ve recently expanded the list of domain extensions available to purchase on our site, allowing you to secure the website URL you’ve always wanted!
Don’t see the domain extension you were after? Just open a live chat with us and we can get it added in minutes.
We’re really excited & pleased to announce the launch of our all-new Members Area …
Our new Members Area brings with it a wealth of new features including:
Support PIN – Your security is paramount, so we will now require a Support PIN when you contact us via live chat so we can verify your identity, the PIN can be easily accessed via the homepage of our new Members Area
Social Login – Now you can link your Google or Facebook account with a single click to login
Multi-Language – The whole Members Area is now available in over 20 languages, just choose your preferred language in the footer menu
Affiliate Program – Our amazing affiliate program is now surfaced in the Members Area making it easier than ever to see your unique referral URL and track your referral earnings
Inline Popular cPanel Items – The 11 most popular cPanel items are now surfaced right within the Members Area to save you time
E-Mail History – See every e-mail we’ve ever sent you with just one click
Approved Contacts – You can now add contacts onto your account who can log in and manage the account
Modern & Fresh Interface – Along with all the new features we’ve given the Members Area a fresh lick of paint providing a modern and fresh feel
Login to your Members Area today to see the all-new interface, we’d love to hear your feedback!
After some recent optimisations to our site, we’re pleased to share that we’re now rated “A” on Pingdom’s Website Speed Test and 94/100 on Google Page Speed.
You can see our results below from Europe, USA, and Australia, so no matter where you are in the world www.www.hugotonhosting.co.uk will always load blazingly fast!
Host your site with us today to notice speed improvements from day 1!